Where in the world?
Dungarvan, the County Town, is situated where the River Colligan broadens and enters the sea. A busy market town, it can trace its origins back to the stone age. It is recorded that about the 3rd century A.D., a tribe called the Deise settled on the site where Dungarvan now stands. The area is still known as the Desies. The name Dungarvan, derives from the foundation here, by St. Garvan, of a monastery in the 7th century. Norman Prince John came here in 1185 and had fortifications built. Some remains of Dungarvan Castle, originally built by him but much altered at various later periods, stands beside the river. In Abbeyside,(on the East bank of the river) are well preserved ruins of the Augustinian Priory founded in the 13th century.
Waterford Map compliments of Ambit Ireland Internet Services
Return to Dungarvan Brass Band Home Page